Want to tackle weight loss in a specific area of your body? In a world of fatty foods and snacks filled with fat, sugar and salt, there is great concern in the U.S. and Canada over weight gain and obesity. For those of us who are over 55 (who tend to carry the weight in our stomach area – in Canada, it’s called a Molson Muscle after a major brewer) this puts you at a much higher risk for a heart attack or stroke. Many doctors will tell you that weight is a secondary factor compared to waist size in predicting heart attack victims.
There is some research that suggests people with large stomach fat deposits are different – their body can lose sensitivity to insulin, an important hormone that helps the body feel energized and burn energy. As well, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease often occur because of too much bad cholesterol in their systems.
But there’s hope! Here are some effective ways to reduce and lose fat around your middle:
- Adhere to a low-calorie diet to help drop some pounds. Eat foods with moderate (not high) fat levels to ensure that you stick with the program because you feel full.
- Eat fish, nuts, avocados, and use olive oil – all of which will lower your cholesterol and protect your body’s joints.
- Eat and drink high-calcium, non-fat dairy products to help reduce body fat.
- Drink lots of water to burn more stored fat in your body.
- Avoid drinking carbonated drinks. This will reduce water retention and avoid bloating that occurs from the sodium content.
- Substitute dark green vegetables for half of your regular portions of potatoes and/or pasta. This will pay big dividends in terms of lower starch (stored fat) and increases in minerals, nutrients and roughage.
- Eat your large meal for lunch with a smaller one for dinner. Later in the day is the time when you slowly become more sedentary and burn less calories.
- Vary the amount of calories that you take in from one day to the next. This helps to trick your body into not having a chance to store fat.
- Eat milk and cottage cheese that contain proteins that are slow burning and gives muscles a steady amount of amino acids used for fat burning.
A final tip, and one that comes up here often, is to try exercising more. Even a half hour walk with the dog will pay dividends beyond just the fresh air and snooping at what’s going on in the neighborhood. Coupling a little exercise with the tips above will make a significant dent in that belly fat!